So, after consulting with one of my more knowledgeable Pullip-collecting friends, I went off to CoolCat, the leading online store for Pullip eyechips. CoolCat has an enormous selection of chips – flat colors, matte colors, double-colored, you name it – and most are only $3.50.
I was a bit leery of ordering at first – they’re based in Taiwan, and the last time I did an overseas transaction (my very first eBay auction, poor newbie who didn’t know about the AG grey market), it never arrived. But CoolCat was great at communication, shipping was only $3.00, and the package arrived safely and well within the estimated time.
Now, I had some experience opening up Pullip heads and poking around. Merida’s head had been opened when I installed her Obitsu body, and Rapunzel had some eye problems from the start. Whatever had crushed her box and smushed her nose had also damaged her eye mechanism. One eye had been jammed closed, the other wouldn’t close, and the lever that controlled her eye direction had a broken piece. The night I bought her, I spent a fair amount of my evening bent over my worktable, painstakingly repairing the eye damage. I spent a lot of time not breathing, and mentally repeating “I only spent $40, if this goes pear-shaped, it was only $40.” The good part is that Pullip eye mechs are pretty self-explanatory, so it was easy to tell where things were supposed to go.
Just
as a note – Pullip eyemechs, when out of the head? SUPER CREEPY.
Like, these two huge staring lidless eyeballs attached to this
hellish plastic contraption. I have a pretty high tolerance toward
creepy doll stuff, but I did my best not to look at those eyes until
they were reinstalled.
So,
when the CoolCat order arrived, I sat down to perform a three-way
eyeswap.
he
first step was to paint the backs of the chips. The chips are
translucent, so there’s no actual pupil. A dab of black acrylic
paint on each chip did the trick nicely.
The
second step was to prep my patients – removing clothes and wigs.
Howl was the only one with a wig still glued on!
A
few hours later (read, after my kid had gone to bed and my husband
had retreated downstairs to play video games), we were ready to
start. I’m not going to go into the full process of chip-swapping;
there are good tutorials here and here. Rapunzel was my first
patient:
The
eyemech and one of the stock eyechips.
I’m
saving those for my eventual Belle custom.
I
was, again, not breathing during this step – sure, the “it’s
only $40” mantra was still true, but by now I’d become attached
to her!
New
chips in. See what I mean about the creepy?
After
shot:
The
eyes were a little silvery and shiny for my taste – in the light of
the Dollcave, they had an eerie and sinister glow. Check this out!
That
is not a Rapunzel who bash you over the head with a frying pan and
then make you take her to a kingdom-wide party. That is a Rapunzel
that will bash you over the head with a frying pan and devour your
soul.
Turns
out, all the CoolCat chips come with this silver, prismatic
laser-paper backing that gives them extra luminosity and sparkle.
While the effect is very cool – just wait until you see Merida’s
eyes – it was a little overdone on Rapunzel. Fixing it was easy
(aside from the bit where I had to take her all apart again) – I
removed the little circles of paper, flipped them over, and colored
the blank side green with a colored pencil. I put the backing back on
with the green side forward, reinstalled everything, and…
RAPUNZEL!
Her
eyes are still very luminous, but they don’t have the creepy silver
glow.
Next
up is Merida - her wig arrived TODAY, so I will be combining her eye and wig changes into the next post. Stay tuned!










3 comments:
Thanks for sharing your customizing adventures, Jen. I'm glad you changed Rapunzel's eyes...that original green was pretty creepy! ;)
I don't know if I'll ever be brave enough to go this far with a Pullip customization, but at least I get to enjoy yours. :)
Her eyes look much better after the coloring! You did a great job, and she's absolutely adorable.
Thank you both! I just realized I put in text to link to the tutorials I used, and forgot to insert the links. Oops, will fix!
I spent some time, during the eyeswap, wondering why I had few problems opening up Pullips and poking around every little bit, but haven't done anything more than a restringing on AGs. I think it's because Pullips are easier to take apart and put back together - everything is slotted together and held in by screws - and so everything I do seems to be reversible. Which is weird, considering there's no Pullip Doll Hospital like there is for AGs! :D
Post a Comment