Monday, March 5, 2012

Saturday Craftnernoon Adventures: AG Pets!

Continuing the backlog clearout...it's Saturday Crafternoon Adventures, featuring Make Your Own AG Pets!

Okay, I'm pretty sure all of AG fandom had a simultaneous squee moment when we saw McKenna's hamster, followed by the biggest unsquee when we realized it was bundled with a bed that costs more than my monthly student loan payment. Like many others, I went for the DIY route.



Yep, it's a goldfish! He was inspired by my late Fishsticks, who was won in a carnival fishbowl toss game, and led a life of more longetivity and adventure than most fish.





(He was over 10 years old when he died in 2007, and had lived with me in two dorms, three apartments, and countless trips home over the holidays. Yeah, that fish traveled. As carnie goldfish go, he was pretty dang hardcore...and prettier than most, if I do say so.)



The ingredients used. Fishsticks II was made of orange Sculpey (with a mixture of orange and translucent for his fins). His plant is green Sculpey, the "rocks" are seed beads. His bowl is a 99-cent candleholder from Meijer, and the "water" is that translucent flower-arranging gel.

The gel was a huuuge pain to use. It took ages to liquify properly, and it set instantly. I may hold out on a second attempt until I find acrylic water.



Take a look at those bubbles. That's how quickly it set; I barely got the fish in.







Robin with the new pet, for an idea of scale.



Definitely an interesting experiment!

Next up...Felicity's Windsor Chair! Then Project Rapunzel 2.0, or Why I Love and Hate the Disney Store, followed by How AG's Crazy-Long Backorders Can Backfire!

No comments: