Monday, June 27, 2011

Two Springfield Collection Reviews

This week I picked up two Springfield Collection outfits from local craft stores, one for my girls and one for The Pie's Doll.

First, the Purple Party Dress for Doll, found at JoAnn's:



The outfit consists of a floor-length purple gown with golden "sparkle" accents, black patent flats (the same ones you can buy separately), a ribbon choker with a rhinestone, and fur-trimmed long gloves.

The gown is quite nice - the bodice and underskirt are a royal purple satiny fabric, with a sheer purple overskirt.



A closer look at the sparkles - they're just printed on the overskirt.



The choker isn't great - it just barely fits around Doll's neck, and Doll is skinnier than an AG. The biggest fail is the gloves - the glove fabric is nice and stretchy, and fits perfectly. The fur trim does not - I had to carefully cut a notch into the trim to fit it over Doll's hands.

Still, a pretty dress and serviceable shoes for $9.99 - and less if you use a coupon (I had one for 40% off.) I give it a solid B+, and The Pie loves that her doll looks like a princess. :D

For my girls, I got the purple argyle shirt and denim skirt set:



The denim skirt was a nice surprise - I was expecting it to be much flimsier. It has a simple velcro tab at the fly, and fits Lucy (albeit a bit snugly in places).

The shirt was my main reason for picking this up, and while it fits and looks cute...



Only a partial opening in the back, with a small velcro tab. What a PAIN to get on.



A closer look at the argyle print.



And Lucy finishes the outfit with her denim jacket.

This outfit is very cute, and the basic pieces make for good mix-and-match potential, so it gets an A-. It's $7.99 at Michael's, but (as always) get on the mailing list for those 40% coupons!

2 comments:

bwaybabs said...

While Springfield isn't really the greatest quality, they have some nice items. I have the argyle outfit myself, and I think it's really really cute! It fits Lara, my Karito Kid, as well.

Have you heard of What A Doll? It's the wannabe AG line of dolls and outfits at K-Mart. While unfortunately they do not sell just the doll outfits separately (you have to buy them in a set of doll outfit and matching girl outfit) they're better quality than Springfield and change every few months. It used to be that almost everything had a floral design, but I've noticed that now they are getting a lot of really cute non-floral outfits (I'm guessing the floral was a spring thing?) Anyway, if you have a K-Mart near you, you should definitely check it out. It's on the wall in the girl's clothes section and It's around $20 for a set which is a really good deal, considering just a doll outfit in AG is about $24 at best, and a matching set would be over $50 most probably.

Jen said...

Springfield is good as cheap wardrobe filler - providing little extra pieces that I can't bring myself to pay AG prices for, and can't/don't want to make myself.

I have heard of What A Doll, though I see them mostly as something I would get for The Pie and Doll, rather than for my dolls - my doll characters are 12, and a lot of matching outfits are too young-looking for their tastes!