Monday, June 27, 2011

Two Crafts: DIY Doll Hangers and a Kid's Play Crown

One of the unexpected bonuses from The Pie's Springfield Collection dress was this:



A thick cardboard hanger that was used to put it on the store display.

Now, one of the things I have a serious shortage of is hangers, and I have never quite been able to bring myself to shell out $8 for a dozen AG-brand hangers (which probably cost next to nothing to manufacture, I've seen "How It's Made").

So I thought, "Cardboard, eh? I can do that." I found a piece of mat board that I scrounged from art school years ago, and set to tracing:



After cutting them out, I gave them a couple coatings of ModPodge for extra stability.





And here they are, doing their duty in the modern girls' wardrobe. And for anyone reading, have a freebie template:



Print at 100% (should be roughly 7" wide), grab some board, and set to tracing!

My second crafty endeavor was a play crown for The Pie, who is in full-time Princess Mode. (This is mostly adorable, but I could do without the bits where she refuses to wear pants because "princesses don't wear pants, Mommy!")

I got the instructions from this tutorial at Bitter Betty Blogs. Basically, it calls for coating a length of lace trim in gold paint, coating with ModPodge, and shaping it into a circle.

The needed materials:



The finished product:



And now Pieface has a princess crown that isn't plastic, and doesn't snap if I accidentally step on it!

2 comments:

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

What great projects! Thanks for the template, too. I'll have to try it out myself.

I laughed when I read your daughter's comment. My youngest is also going through that stage. If I have the audacity to make her wear shorts instead of a skirt, she starts crying brokenheartedly (is that even a word?). It's gonna be a looong summer...

Jen said...

Hee, thanks!
The Pie's big issue is that she's shooting up like a weed, and a lot of her dresses are getting too short to wear without something underneath - and I'm not about to let her flash her entire preschool class. :D

(Also, brokenheartedly? Totally a word. This English major says so!)