Sunday, May 2, 2010

In Which I Fail to Resist Temptation

So...my birthday is in March. And birthdays mean birthday money. And birthday money means danger, as it means being able to give in to New Doll Temptation.

Again, not an AG (I didn't get that much birthday money) - after reading some threads on AGPT, and spotting a sale at Target, I brought home Katie from the Liv line:





Good things: Lots of articulated joints for posing (hooray), interchangeable wigs, and inset eyes.

Bad things: A giant PAIN to get out of the box. I mean, plastic ties everywhere. Even the hair is tied down in a ridiculous manner. Also, she was a second-wave Katie, with one wig and a dog instead of two wigs. (The dog was promptly presented to the Kid and lives in the Ugliest Cabinet Ever with a T-Rex, a panda, and Thomas the Tank Engine.)

It wasn't until I got her wig off that I really fell in love with her:


I love the fact that they have painted-on pixie cuts under the wig. I may just be weird, but her face looks sweeter and less vacant when not surrounded by piles of hair.

Of course, then I found the bright pink wig. And promptly gave it a bob cut:



Have I mentioned how I love the pose potential? And I love that she's the right size for all my childhood Barbie accessories:



Oh yeah, that's a Barbie sewing machine from the 80s-90s. I raided my toy stash while spending Easter with the parents.

So, with the articulation and wigs, Katie is a good "I'll never afford a BJD" substitute doll. (At $20 MSRP, she's cheap enough that I don't mind letting the Kid play with her!) The biggest downside is the clothes - I haven't really found any outfits that appeal to me, the selection in stores is pretty limited, and most of my old Barbie stuff is a)80s-tastic, and b) far too big in the bust. I might try to make something at some point, though I fear that trying to sew such small outfits might drive me nuts! Good thing her meet outfit isn't ugly. :D

Overall, quite pleased - she's lots of fun to pose, and I'm trying hard to resist buying her blonde friend Sophie solely to get her awesome glasses.

No comments: