So, some of you may remember that, around this time last year, I was downsized from a job I liked, and I took a job that I didn’t like, out of my field of expertise, just to keep income coming in. Ten utterly miserable months later, I have finally found a new job. I will be returning to the field I’m actually qualified in, I will be working for a company that I’ve collaborated with at Job I Liked, and I will be getting a significantly higher salary, which is just gravy.
So, holding on to the tradition of Celebratory New Job Doll, I have added a new member to the Rapunzel Army:
The Tonner Rapunzel (first edition, with loose hair). Photos behind the jump include undressed dolls, be ye warned.
I’m not generally the biggest fan of Tonner dolls. The quality is unmistakable, but the faces of his dolls strike me as cold – expressionless at best, and haughty at worst. I prefer my dolls to have pleasant, open expressions – not look as though they’re judging me! But, just as with the Dal line, I’m willing to overlook expression if the rest of the doll is perfect. In this case, I was lucky enough to chance upon a NRFB one, sold by an adult collector who was downsizing her stored dolls.
The box is very nice. Rapunzel is held in by ribbons cushioned by foam, which I understand is par for the course with Tonner dolls. I have to say, it’s a lot nicer than endless plastic ties!
Her head is partially hair-netted, with the lower part of her hair encased in plastic.
Plastic off, hair free. The hair is a lovely color, very soft, but slightly greasy.
Also in the box: a saddle stand and some lilac ballet flats.
Her hands and feet are also encased in plastic.
All free!
Her hands are beautifully sculpted, and very expressive. I’m not a fan of the nail polish - one of the things I like about Rapunzel is how un-glamorous she is!
She has flat feet, and painted toenails as well. Her feet float slightly above the base of the saddle stand - from what I can tell from some internet browsing, it’s because she shares a body and stand with the Ellowyne Wilde dolls. Ellowynes have arched feet to wear heels, and so would fit better on the stand.
Her outfit is wonderfully detailed, especially the jacket. The fabric is custom-printed with the floral design that matches the movie version. There is lace trim at the neck, waist, and sleeves, and the corset lacing on the bodice is real lacing through tiny grommets.
A disappointment: the hem design on her skirt only goes about a third of the way around. With the rest of the outfit so beautifully detailed, it’s a head-scratcher why they cut corners on this.
Her hair has a tendency to fall over her face, so I’m having her hold it back so I can photograph!
Her face is a pleasant surprise - the stock images on Tonner’s site made her look like her eyes were rolling up in her head! On the actual doll, her eyes are more centered, and she has delicate freckles and a calm, serene expression with the slightest hint of a smile.
At this point, I interrupted the photo shoot to braid Rapunzel’s hair. It softened up nicely and looked less greasy after a gentle brushing, but it also shed like crazy! (There is another edition of this doll with pre-braided hair, but I’m glad I went with the loose hair. I get to braid and unbraid it to my heart’s content!)
I abducted Pieface’s Talking Merida from the Disney Store, the only doll in the house in a similar scale.
Merida is slightly taller at 17” - she and Rapunzel are the same height when Rapunzel is in her stand. Rapunzel has a larger head.
Rapunzel is able to stand on her own, with some fussing over her balance. Merida needs a stand, or the wall.
One of the biggest differences in quality: hand sculpts. Rapunzel has larger hands, with full-mobility wrist joints and detailed sculpting.
Body differences: Rapunzel has joints at the chest and wrist, a larger bust and more natural waist and neck. Merida could likely fit into Rapunzel’s dress, but Rapunzel isn’t fitting into Merida’s dress any time soon.
Tonner Rapunzel and Pullip Rapunzel. Their braids are similar length relative to their heights, but the Tonner wig is far superior in texture to Pullip’s coarser wig.
Pullip’s Obitsu body wins in terms of articulation. The ankle joint goes a long way in making pretty poses! I will be doing a full post on Ellowyne vs. Obitsu articulation next.
The Rapunzel Army!
The members of the Rapunzel Army, in order of arrival to Casa Nachos:
1. Toddler Rapunzel (Pieface’s doll, arrived Christmas 2011). One of the Jakks Pacific toddler dolls, sold in Target and similar stores. She’s wearing a dress meant for Aurora.

2. Disney Store Classic Rapunzel, 2011 edition (Pieface’s doll, also Christmas 2011)
4. Mini Rapunzels (Tangled Ever After set, early 2012). Brunette Rapunzel hangs out on Lucy’s desk; the others are stored in the AG wardrobe.
5. Disney Store Classic Rapunzel, 2012 Brunette Edition (Pieface’s doll, early 2012) I bought this doll for Pieface, and was disappointed to see that Disney was using the click legs on this version.
6. Disney Store Classic Rapunzel, 2012 Edition (my doll, late 2012). I bought this one mainly to get her dress, which I far prefer to the 2011 edition. She has the hard, jointed legs.
7. Pullip Rapunzel, Mark II. Originally Pullip Peter Pan, I found this doll at Tuesday Morning. Inspired by Beast’sbelle over at Never Grow Up, I tried the Rapunzel dress on her, and I found her faceup so much more appealing than Mark I that I made the switch.
8. Disney Infinity Rapunzel (technically not a doll, but adorable anyway). This was the opening of the Disney Infinity floodgate at Casa Nachos. I had no desire to play the game (I’m terrible at console gaming; Katamari Damacy is about the limit of my ability) but the figures hit me right in the OMG HOW LITTLE AND CUUUUUTE button. Rapunzel is incredibly detailed for a figure no bigger than my palm: her dress is fully painted, her tiny feet are well-molded, and I love the mosaic sun pattern on her stand.
Lastly, an ALL YER DOLLS photo with the new arrival:
So, definitely pleased with this new arrival, trying very hard not to get sucked into buying a whole host of MSD-scaled dolls (uh-oh), and looking forward to starting my new job on Monday!
































No comments:
Post a Comment