Queen Elsa is FINALLY starting to
loosen her icy grip on Cincinnati (Elsa, honey, you got your
Oscar. You can stop letting it go now) but my thoughts have
already turned to summer, and summer means Gen Con, and Gen Con means
cosplay!
And I totally
didn’t mean to do this, but I may have finished one costume
already. Okay, granted, it’s Pie’s cosplay, and it’s a pretty
simple one, at least compared to last year. But still. It was the
second day of March, and I had one out of three costumes pretty much
done.
Pieface has decided she wants to be
Kiki, of Delivery Service fame:
See? Pretty simple. Dress, hairbow,
flats, broom, cat.
One of the hardest things,
surprisingly, was finding a good dress pattern. Most commercial
patterns for girl’s costume dresses are full of puffs, ruffles,
frills, and other frippery that would be out of place. Kiki’s dress
is a plain, loose-fitting, simple shift – and, as Kiki spends a
noticeable amount of time in the film bemoaning her lack of bright,
pretty clothes, adding frills was a no-go.
I finally settled on Simplicity 1584
– underneath the trims and accessories was a good, plain A-line
dress.
I did very little by way of customizing
the pattern – the only change I made was to make the sleeves
shorter, wider, and gathered at the shoulder, to make them puff a
little. (I also changed the order of the sewing directions, but
that’s because I always set sleeves in flat – before sewing the
side seams – if I can get away with it.)
For fabric, I took Pie to Hancock
Fabrics and we wandered around, looking at all the purple fabric we
could find. (Kiki’s dress is technically black, but straight black
is a very dead color. As an art student, I was cautioned against
using black paint out of a tube, because it dulls a painting – we
were encouraged to mix our own blacks out of the other colors we had.
Animators avoid actual black for the same reason – it looks like a
dead spot onscreen - hence Kiki’s purple-black
dress.)
It took some looking to find a purple
fabric that was a) suitably dark, b) suitably heavy/opaque, and c)
suitably soft for a child’s dress. We settled on this
Ponteroma knit in Deep Purple. It’s got a nice weight, a slight
ribbed texture to add some visual interest, and a bit of sheen, to
appease the Pie’s love of shiny fabric. (I had to pull her away
from some purple lamé.)
From a length of fabric and an uncut
pattern…
To this…
Took less than 24 hours. Shoulder
seams, bias-tape collar, hem/gather/set in sleeves, sew sides, sew
center back seam, sew back opening, press up and sew hem, and attach
back button. 24 hours. That is insane. There are doll dresses
that have taken me longer to make.
As for the hairbow… I picked up a
lovely, bright red, crepe-back satin out of the remnant bin – I
didn’t have a definite plan on what to use it for, but it was
pretty* – and it just so happened to perfectly match the red satin
headband I picked up at JoAnn’s to be the base.
*This, by the way, is why I have a huge
stash of remnants, although I haven’t sewn anything for dolls in
ages.
I used this fabric bow tutorial
to make a big, shiny, floppy bow, and some hot glue to attach it to
the headband.
Hairbow!
Now, all that remains is accessories.
Pie already has a child-sized broom, so that’s checked off the
list. Kiki wears bloomers under her dress, but Pie has flat vetoed
the idea of bloomers, so she’ll be in plain tights. Her shoes will
be purchased at a time closer to August, to avoid unpleasant growth
spurt surprises.
Lastly (and most importantly to Pie), there is the
matter of Jiji, Kiki’s talking black cat. From the frequency of questions
regarding Jiji, if I have found a plush Jiji for her, if I am going
to make a plush Jiji for her, etc., I sometimes wonder if Pie didn’t
decide on a Kiki costume just so she could add to her stuffed animal collection!
(In the
“before” picture above, the role of Jiji was filled by
Kuroneko-sama, who is also a black cat character from an anime –
“Trigun”, that is – but Pie insists on having an accurate
Jiji.)
There are official licensed Jiji plushes out there - but, being imports, they are all slightly ridiculous in price. Thankfully, I have some time to weigh my options!
(I also have time to work on my own costumes. I went ahead and bought one very necessary wig...
(Still getting used to the whole "having bangs" thing. I grew mine out at 13 and never looked back.)






3 comments:
Oh, Jen, you'll make a perfect Elsa! :) Can't wait to see the whole costume!
Pie will look adorable, too. :) I always love seeing your creative process. I'm fascinated by people who can sew since it's something I've never accomplished. ;)
Thanks for sharing with us! :)
That is so cute! I can't wait to see what else you make for GenCon.:)
Thank you both! Hopefully I'll have more progress pics up soon - trying to marshal up energy and funds! :D
Post a Comment