Friday, March 16, 2012

How AG's Crazy-Long Backorders Can Backfire

So, back in October, I acquired my first piece of AG furniture. A member over at AGPT was selling a slightly TLC version of the Computer Desk and Chair for super-cheap, so I picked it up...and unleased a firestorm of Doll-Scale Furniture Love.

Since that point, I have added a bed, a bookcase, and Felicity's Windsor Chair to fuel the firestorm. My ultimate goal is to have two modern rooms - one for Lucy, one for Robin - separated by the (shared) Our Generation Wardrobe. Lucy's room is to be more old-fashioned and romantic; Robin's will be more modern and bright. One of the pieces I wanted for Lucy's room was Kit's roll-top desk, so off I went to American Girl to order it.

And found the thing backordered until June.

Fearing a retirement, I ordered it, with the knowledge that backorders are the first filled if it's discontinued.

And then I got...impatient. It didn't help that AG doesn't charge for the order until it ships, so I could get a $95 charge to my account at any point between February and June.

So I started watching eBay auctions. Most of the listings were BINs well above retail, but I found an auction that was quite promising.



I ended up getting this set for $1 less than what it cost from AG - and considering that it wasn't just the desk and chair, but the bag, books, paper, and pencil case too, I think I got a pretty screamin' deal.



(By the way, ebay seller "mikoinnu" has fantastic customer service - when she accidentally sent the desk by Parcel Post instead of Priority, she notified me right away, and repeatedly offered me a full refund of the shipping cost, even though it cost more to ship than I had paid. I finally told her that five extra days was nothing compared to a June backorder.)

This is one of the coolest things AG has made, I think. It's so detailed! I took it out of the box, and my husband took one look and said "Your dolls have a nicer desk than we do."



Wee drawers!







More wee drawers!



Top down.

The accessories are pretty rad too:




HOMG TINY PENCILS.



Tiny tiny printing! I'd tell you what it says, but my glasses are old and a bit crap, and I should really stop buying doll stuff and use that vision insurance I have now. :D



Lucy seems pretty happy about her new desk, and did not hesitate to cover it in her clutter:





Team Modern's room:



Robin has taken the plastic desk. After so long of combining their stuff, it's a bit hard to sort out what belongs to Robin and what belongs to Lucy!

In the end...I feel a little bad for buying something off eBay when it's available, and I can afford it, from AG. But waiting a week versus waiting 4 months? I do hope AG gets their supply chain sorted out - I can see them losing more business if they're unreliable about availability. Parents aren't going to want to shell out that kind of money without the guarantee that their Precious Snookums is going to have the present they want on their birthday or holiday. (And before you ask, no, it's not the best idea to order a present for a kid 4-5 months in advance. Take it from me, the mom who bought "Tangled" party plates 6 months before a birthday, only to find out my daughter now wants a Star Wars party. ARGH.)

So, yeah. AG, sort yourselves out.
_________

With that done, I'm almost done clearing my backlog! I have one more set of photos to edit and upload, and that post will kick off my latest doll project/unhealthy obsession. Let's just say it's about to get princessy up in here. :D

2 comments:

Rosie said...

It's so cute! :D

Flo said...

Where did you find the mini Tardis?!?!?! I love that desk, one of these days I may just have to splurge and get it.