Sunday, October 9, 2011

I am alive, never fear

Oh, I am so happy it is October. Suffice to say that September was a bad month. I won't get into the details here, because you are reading for Happy Doll Funtimes and not Jen's Debbie Downer Times, but let's say that I have never been so happy to see the tail end of a month.

ANYWAY.

I haven't been online a lot because I have been super-busy with sewing, and I'm pretty stoked about what I'm working on:



This is The Pie's Halloween costume. As you might have noticed, she kinda likes Tangled.



Obviously, it's not quite finished (I need to put eyelets and lacing on the back of the underdress, and finish attaching the trim around the skirt hem), but looking pretty dang good, especially considering it's my first project to fit a real, flesh-and-blood person.



The dress is two pieces: a sleeveless underdress and separate top. The underdress will lace up the back (so it can be adjusted as The Pie grows, and also so I don't have to try sewing on a zipper with my tiny Sew Mini machine) and has an attached petticoat with lace trim. The jacket is fully lined and laces up the front.



It cost a bit more than buying a Rapunzel dress off the shelf from the Disney Store or a seasonal Halloween shop, but from the looks of things, it's a lot nicer in quality!

(And if I should ever speak ill of my Sew Mini, you have full permission to give me a ding 'round the ears. That machine handled all those gathered layers like a BOSS.)

ETA: I will be trying to post the backlog of nifty doll photos and shiny new doll stuff soon!

2 comments:

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

Hi Jen! What a beautiful costume! I'll be sure NOT to show this to my girls. We don't do Halloween, but at their age, any day is dress-up day, and they LOVE Tangled. And their mom is a horrible seamstress. ;)

Anyway, I'm so glad you're back. Sorry you had a rough month. I hope this one is better for you. :)

Jen said...

Thank you! I'm pretty proud of it, if I say so myself. (At any rate, my inner 8-year-old princess fangirl lets out a squee at the sight of all the silky fabric and lace!) Now, there's only about a foot of trim to finish sewing onto the skirt, and it is done - and I can take a break from lavender fabric!