Saturday, October 29, 2011

Halloween!

It's Halloween time, and various members of Casa Nachos are ready for fun!



Lucy has a deep and secret love for Disney and princesses and pretty dresses, and adores this Cinderella dress! It came from Nethilia/kittikattie in the AG>18 Costume Swap.



The blue fabric has lots of sparklies, and is such a perfect match with Lucy's eyes!



"Um, Robin...I don't think that's quite the right footwear for this story."


Robin decided to do a rather different animated-movie-inspired costume:



She's Astrid, from "How To Train Your Dragon"! This was a costume I'd been planning since June, and I was pleased that it came together in just a couple weeks.

The top is a simple sleeveless bodice pattern - the same pattern I used for the underbodice of the Rapunzel dress. I spent ages looking for the perfect fabric, and picked up a dark blue stripe fat quarter out of desperation. When I unfolded the fat quarter for pressing, I discovered that the wrong side of the fabric was exactly what I wanted!

Her skirt and headband are made from a vinyl piece I found in the remnant bin, with lots and lots of eyelets. The tiny skulls are all Sculpey, her armbands are simply hemp twine wrapped around her arms. The tights are from the Pleasant Company grey school jumper outfit, and the boots are from a Big Lots outfit.

The shoulder pads gave me the most trouble. They're silver cardstock strips, held together with brads, and fastened under her arms with clear beading line. I seriously made three of these before one worked!

(Sunny does not have a costume at the moment. When she asked if they weren't a little old for trick-or-treating, Robin gave her a Look and declared that when a person is too old for Free Candy Night, they are too old to live. Thanks, Rob.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I just LOVE your costumes! Robin's Astrid costume is amazing!!!!

Hope you had a fun Halloween! :)

~Liz~

Jen said...

Liz - Thank you! I did have a pretty good Halloween, though the holiday is mostly all about my daughter these days. :D Thanks for commenting, and I hope your Halloween was great!