Saturday, October 15, 2011

Clearing the Backlog: Costume Swap + Modern Goodies

Continuing to clear the backlog...

Every year, the AG Over 18 community on LiveJournal holds a Costume Swap for Halloween. This was the first year I've felt confident enough to enter, and I was thrilled when I found out my recipient loves Disney movies - especially Tangled.

I had the fabric, I had the notions...and so Project Rapunzel 2011 expanded to include a doll-sized version of Rapunzel's dress.





This was a Frankenpattern job, made up mostly of McCalls 3627, my go-to pattern for Felicity's gowns. It only took a bit of pattern-jacking to convert the top into a lace-front closure, and the sleeve pattern from Josefina's Christmas dress completed the job.



Like The Pie's costume, this is a two-piece outfit.



A closeup of the bodice. I was thrilled to find tiny Cluny lace at JoAnn's, in a perfect scale to trim the collar and waist...but boy howdy, was it ever a pain to attach in those seams!

The Pascal on Lucy's shoulder is made of Sculpey. He's actually my third attempt at making a wee Pascal, and while I'm not entirely pleased with how he turned out, I am proud of one piece of engineering. On his underbelly, between his feet, there is a tiny clay loop where an elastic string can be threaded, so he can perch on a doll's hand.

The outfit also included shoes and a frying pan, which brings me to the second part of my post!

Rapunzel's metallic-purple shoes came from Sophia's, as part of an AG>18 group order. Aside from the shoes, I got a bunch of tops for my modern girls:



Lucy is wearing a green ribbed v-neck, Robin has a white pullover hoodie, and Sunny has a grey zip hoodie over a black pullover camisole. The green v-neck is a lovely color and is well-made. The white hoodie is a bit of a pain to get on, but is a great mix-and-match item. The zip hoodie is also well-made - I hope there's another group order soon, because I want more of those hoodies and v-necks!



(Lucy was kind enough to change into one of the other tops, a pretty printed shirt that I am saving for whenever I get Nadira, my #46.)



Rapunzel's frying pan came in a set of Betty Crocker doll-scale cookware I chanced upon in a Big Lots. I was getting the brakes on my car replaced, and wandered in to the Big Lots to kill some time - I was so pleased to find this set!



Such a great scale. The utensils are a bit big, but the pots and pans are perfect!

Next up...making some Scupley food for this awesome cookware, and Round 2 of the Costume Swap!

4 comments:

Miranda said...

Ooh! I love the creativity on your outfit! Most people would have just made the dress, but she even has props! :D And, I LOVE the shirts you bought with the shoes! They look really cute. ;) I'm going to have to look into those doll-sized pots and pans...

~Miranda

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

What a great job, Jen!! The costume is beautiful, Pascal is adorable, and the frying pan is perfect! ("Frying pans...who knew, right?") :)

I'd better not let Emma see this post, or she'll be emailing you about a duplicate costume. ;)

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

The other shirts and the pots and pans are great too, by the way. :)

Jen said...

Miranda - thank you! I'm a big fan of "accessories make the costume", and it was only time and budget constraints that limited me to the pan and Pascal. :D

Belle - Thank you! I hate to disappoint Emma, but at this point, it'll be at least six months before I'm ready to even LOOK at a piece of lavender fabric again!