First, as most of you know by know, AG discontinued the MyAG #4, with the unique "Asian" facemold, without any sort of warning. I was a bit sad, as #4 had been on my "someday" list, and now the only way I'd get one is if I lucked out on eBay or Craigslist.
Then I remembered seeing a #4 listed on my local CL the week before, along with several other dolls.
I figured the entire lot of dolls was long gone...but nothing ventured, nothing gained, and I emailed the seller. To my shock, she was still available, and I picked her up last Friday!

I'm still in the process of building a character (this is the first time I've bought a doll without a character already planned). So far, I know her name is Sunny Zheng (Sunny is just a nickname, but I haven't decided on a proper Chinese name for her), she's an eco-conscious vegetarian who wants to work in conservation, and she's the New Kid in School.
Oh, and she's left-handed. I don't know her real name, but I know that.
(Also, her nickname is total proof that dolls name themselves. Sunny is not a name I would ever have consciously considered.)
She came in this gaudy homemade-looking outfit:

With what seems to be Marisol's Tap Shoes:

The seller still had a lot of AG stuff he was trying to unload (got a huge lot from an estate, apparently), so I bought a bunch of other clothes, for $1 per piece:

That's the shirt and shorts from the '05 Tennis Outfit and Lindsey's laptop bag, plus the Ready for Fun jeans and AGP Chicago shirt Sunny was wearing in the first pic.
I'm fairly sure Sunny is PM - her eyelashes are soft, she has the pie-wedge bangs, and she is the squishiest doll I've seen. She's fitting right in to the Casa Nachos gang, and may well end up being Robin's best friend. I'm glad to have lucked out!
3 comments:
AG hasn't ~really retired #4. Just...for a short while. Thing is, the number 4 is considered bad luck in Asian culture apparently, so like, nobody of Asian descent would buy that MyAG which kind of defeats the purpose of having an Asian MyAG. I'm fairly certain she will be coming back, but as a different number.
Those tap shoes are so cute! I'm not familiar with most GOTYs, so I looked up Marisol's tap outfit. I guess it was a popular outfit, because they have a very similar MyAG tap outfit now, with those same tap shoes.
Sunny is adorable!! :) How exciting to find one after her retirement. I love Craigslist!! :D
Babs - From what I can tell from people on Playthings, AG customer service has stated pretty definitively that #4 isn't likely to make a comeback (one CS rep reportedly said that the new #54 is seen as #4's replacement). It makes sense from a financial standpoint - why maintain a unique mold for one unpopular doll? - but I hate to see a facemold go.
Belle - Craiglist was seriously my friend in this case! I almost wish I'd picked up more of the $1 clothing, but I think I spent enough as is. :D
Post a Comment